- 3 clear containers (such as mason jars)
- 1 large container
- heavy liquid (like honey, corn syrup, or molasses)
- vegetable oil
- food coloring
- household items: coins, plastic beads, bottle caps, popcorn, grapes, safety pins...
- Use the food coloring to dye the liquids.
- Guess which liquid will rise to the top when you mix all of them together.
- Pour all the liquids into one jar and wait for them to separate.
- Then predict how far each household item will fall inside the container.
- Add in the household items one by one and see if you guessed correctly!
- Density is equal to the mass of the substance divided by the volume.
- When you pour all of the liquids together, liquids with heavier density will sink, while liquids with lighter density will rise to the top.
- When you add the household items in, the ones with more mass per unit volume will sink lower than the ones with less mass per unit volume.