Baking Soda Volcano
- Baking soda
- Food coloring (optional)
- If working inside, use a tray or work in the bathtub or sink (because it will be a lot of bubbly mess)
- If working outside, only a hose is necessary to wash the mess away
- Pour baking soda into the covered vase
- Add a few drops of food coloring into the vase (optional)
- Pour in vinegar
- Watch the volcano erupt!!
- Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, and vinegar is acetic acid. Therefore, when the two are mixed, carbonic acid is formed. Carbonic acid immediately decomposes into water and carbon dioxide, so the bubbly reaction you see is the carbon dioxide escaping.
Information from: https://wizzley.com/four-easy-science-experiments-vinegar/
Images from: http://teachingmama.org/5-baking-soda-experiments/